Dec 27, 2007

Deposits Collected at the Blood Bank

The final book in the Tanya Huff series, Blood Bank, is not a novel but a collection of short stories with the Blood Book Series characters. I liked the short stories for the most part except "The Vengeful Spirit of Lake Nepeakea." It took me the longest time to read because I was not engaged in the storyline as much as I was in the others. The breakdown of the stories between Vicky and Henry Fitzroy were not very even, with more of the stories about Vicky and Celluci after her change. I really enjoyed the stories with Henry in them the most.

Blood Bank, however, was an apt title for this collection given the vampire characters and the variety of "blood types" or stories in the book. I am glad to find that Vicky's commitment and abandonment issues are addressed in the last short story, "So This Is Christmas," although it was a bit cheesy following the traditional "Christmas Carol" (by Charles Dickens) outline with the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future. I'm glad that the underlying character flaw is addresses, but I think that it could have been done differently.

Overall, the short stories are a great way to revisit the characters in a shorter amount of time, but the novels themselves are much better.

2 comments:

Anna said...

That's a unique way to end a series. And that Christmas story does seem a little hokey. The Christmas Carol theme is so overused.

Serena said...

Yeah it was an interesting way to end the series for sure. I liked many of the short stories....they provided some background on Henry and a glimpse into Vicki's future as a vampire.