Mar 24, 2008

7th Heaven Sure Is a Firey Pit

Despite a bump in the road with 6th Target, James Patterson has picked up the Women's Murder Club Series in 7th Heaven, and it looks like Lindsay is on the brink of yet another emotional dilemma. In this book, Michael Campion, who has a bad heart and happens to be the son of a former governor, disappears, but a tip comes in leading to a potential suspect. At the same time, a series of homes are set afire, robbed, and their occupants killed; these fires appear to be arson or accidental, but the detectives must follow a gruelling set of leads to discover the truth. Meanwhile, Lindsay Boxer continues to live with her FBI boyfriend, Joe, even though she has yet to say yes to his proposal from 6th Target.

***Spoiler Alert***

While this book has a much cleaner plot and the suspense is kept high for most of the book, I don't see the attraction Lindsay has to Rich Conklin, her partner. I know that Patterson is setting it up to be a love triangle with Lindsay caught between two men--her partner and her former FBI boyfriend--but I guess I am partial to Joe. I want to see her happy, and after cheering him on and happily applauding his decision to finally move to San Francisco and quite the FBI to be with Lindsay, I want my happy ending for them. I knew once Jacobi was moved up and no longer her partner, another hunk was moving into her life. I wonder if it is her desire for Conklin or her inability to commit that has her so confused about the men in her life. I gather its a bit of both.

This is one thing I have noticed about Patterson's crime stories--and it bugs me--the main characters who are detectives in police forces never can just have a happy home life. Wives die, marriages end in divorce, partners become lovers, and other activities happen that keep these detectives merely bouncing from bed to bed. I find that disturbing. I would like to see something out of the ordinary from one of his main characters; I would like to see them fall in love, get married, and have families all while remaining on the job and platonic with their partners.

As for the crimes, the Campion case takes a series of twists and turns that even had me baffled for a while, though I finally had it figured. I love the ending to this case, folks. If for nothing else, you should read this book to find out what really happens to Michael Campion. I have to say the conversation with Boxer, Conklin, and Campion's father was the biggest clue to the ending for me. It was a good point in the story to bring it out as well.

The rash of fires in the area among wealthy families was intriguing and the discovery of who Pidge and Hawk really are was captivating. The only question I have for those characters is what sick and twisted world do you live in that setting fires and killing people can be equated with 7th Heaven? Talk about a disturbing title for a graphic novel/manifesto of crime. It makes one wonder how these minds become that twisted to think hey let's set fire to homes, rob them, and kill the couples inside rather than sell this really detailed graphic novel that received rave reviews and become rich ourselves. I think in this instance, I would have preferred a bit more detail into how these criminals came to those conclusions. What motivated them to kill, rather than make money and change their lot in life? Then again, I suppose most cops and prosecutors never find that out even if the perps are arrested.

***End Spoiler Alert****

Also, keep a watchful eye on this book for the newest addition to the Women's Murder Club. The group is growing. Overall, this was an enjoyable, quick read that kept my interest throughout. While some parts angered me and there is still no resolution to the Joe, Lindsay, Conklin interactions, I would recommend this crime drama, 7th Heaven, as a must read part of the series, just skip over the 6th Target.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I agree that this book was much better than the last installment. I, too, guessed right about what happened to Michael Campion, and that conversation was what gave it away!

I wish Lindsay would stop being so stupid in the man department. She's got a good thing going, why spoil it with her partner? I don't see anything long-term happening with Rich, but who knows? Although Joe was pretty pissed with her at one point in the book.

The one thing that annoys me is that one of the Women's Murder Club is nearly killed in every single book. There are cops and prosecutors and medical examiners who do their jobs without encountering psychos at every turn! LOL

Serena said...

I was glad that Joe got mad! He should be. Though I don't like how Patterson has made Joe fade into the background and sort of feminized him. That is something I have noticed when Lindsay changes men in her life; the current man becomes a woman. LOL

Yeah, I like the cases though that involve the psychos, but I think sometimes Patterson goes over the top with the drama, particularly the close calls. I.e. the Yuki/Twilly thing. I just didn't expect him to be that psycho...I think that part could have been avoided. or downplayed a bit.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Joe didn't have much of a role in this book, other than Patterson making him look like a housewife!

Patterson does a good job, though, of showing Lindsay's commitment issues. Joe makes all the sacrifices in the relationship, while Lindsay plows ahead like nothing ever happened. What doesn't bode well for their relationship is that she never once thought of Joe during the incident when she didn't call.

I think she'll manage to screw it up big time somehow.

Serena said...

That's what worries me. I like Joe's character a lot...but then again I liked that guy she was with ages ago who died in the line of fire! LOL

Patterson is too cruel in the romance department for those main characters...like Alex Cross, since his wife Maria there have been a dozen lovers and all the relationships fell apart for various reasons...

It's kind of odd seeing Joe as a housewife.