Dec 7, 2008

War Through the Generations Challenge: WWII

By now, you all should have seen my initial post about the War Through the Generations: Reading Challenges that Anna and I are co-hosting. Click on the button to the right if you want more information about signing up for the reading challenge.

As for my reading goal, I'm going to initially say I will read five books, though as we all know, I get carried away sometimes and will more than likely expand this reading list and make it more challenge beginning in January.

For now, these are the books I've pre-selected in no particular order:

1. Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally
2. Roosevelt’s Secret War by Joseph Persico
3. Beside a Burning Sea by John Shors
4. Keeping Hannah Waiting by Dave Clarke
5. Reading by Lightning by Joan Thomas

Click on the icon to the left for the reading list for the WWII Challenge, which continues to grow. Select your favorites.

Did you like our buttons? Well, Monica at Monniblog made them for us. She rocks. The one to the left is from a photo I took in Washington D.C. on one of the many visits I pay to the city with touring guests.



***Don't forget my Pemberley by the Sea contest. It ends on Dec. 10 at Midnight EST. Sorry open only to U.S. and Canadian addressed residents.**

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you're joining this challenge! I think it will be fun. You picked some great books, too!

Marie Cloutier said...

The challenge sounds great & I love the buttons. As far as Early Reviewers, as long as you're posting lots of reviews to your LT account it's just luck. I got a bunch when I first joined, then almost nothing all year= Jan & Feb I got books, then nothing until October, and for October and November I got a book again. So just keep trying and don't worry about it too much. And my TBR pile is huge too, so it's not like I *need* them! :-)

Serena said...

Literate housewife: I'm co-hosting it. I guess I really don't have a choice. LOL

Marie: Thanks for the button compliment. Monica did a great job. Thanks for the tips on the LT early reviewers. Its just frustrating some times because there are some books I would love to read. Can't win them all. Besides I do have plenty to read. LOL

Shana said...

Serena, I'll probably read Reading by Lightning too since I have it for review anyway. I am REALLY looking forward to making up my list for this challenge. I like the suggested reading compilation you put on the challenge blog!

Shana
Literarily

Serena said...

Shana: Thanks for checking out the reading list. It's going to continue growing. We keep adding books to it. I just added some suggestions yesterday from Nymeth.

I look forward to your post about the challenge. I got Reading by Lightning for review as well, that's why it made the list.

Don't forget to officially sign up on the war blog.

Darlene said...

Only 5 books Serena-lol. We're reading a couple of the same ones. I said this over at Anna's too but I'm really excited to get started. I love Schindler's List-what a powerful story.

Jo-Jo said...

These do look like some great titles that you have selected. I am planning on reading Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas in a couple of months. I think that would fall into the correct category, but I don't see it on the list. What do you think?

Serena said...

Dar: I've had Schindler's list for some time and read it twice already...why not a third time.

Jo-Jo: I think that I will check out the book and possibly add it to the list if it applies...though the list is incomplete...trust me...we are working on it everyday.

Anonymous said...

I ordered Atonement and I will be collecting it today :) Yes!

Serena said...

Veens: just don't read it too soon! LOL

Anna said...

Great list! I have a stack of WWII books I hope to get through. I must pull them all out and make an official list. Another thing to add to my to-do list! LOL

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric