Jan 14, 2009

A Dangerous Affair by Caro Peacock

Caro Peacock's A Dangerous Affair: A Novel of Victorian England is an advanced reader's copy I received through the HarperCollins First Look program and will be published by HarperCollins' Avon imprint on Jan. 27, 2009 in the United States or early February 2009 in the United Kingdom.

A Dangerous Affair is the sequel to A Foreign Affair and picks up with Liberty Lane right after the passing of her father. Her brother is away working with the East India Trading Company, and Liberty is left to earn her way in London as a music tutor. Her meager wages allow her to share lodgings with Mrs. Martley and she takes solace in riding her horse, Rancie, a gift from her father before his death. She has a network of friends who loved her father and have opted to care for her as well in his absence. David Suter is one of those friends and he composes music and leads orchestras at local theaters for a living.

This novel is set in London during the Victorian period, though the actions and language in the novel are more modern than a typical novel of this period. Despite this one drawback, readers will be easily sucked into the story as Liberty seeks to free the wrongly accused after a not-so-well-liked dancer, Columbine, is murdered backstage. From the prominent Mr. Disraeli to Amos Legge who works in the livery, the cast of characters in this novel aid Liberty in her quest to save David Suter's friend even at the expense of her own pride.

The Old Bailey and a number of other prominent landmarks make it easy for readers to discern where they are in London as Liberty adorns her Sherlock Holmes' deerstalker to track down the real killer of Columbine. This is an entertaining read with a variety of twists and turns.

Also reviewed by:

Jen's Book Thoughts

***Remember***

3 copies of Breathing Out the Ghost by Kirk Curnutt are up for grabs here. The deadline for this international contest is Jan. 17.

19 comments:

Toni said...

Ooooh.. I tried to get this one. Victorian England... sounds great. Nice review. :) Thank you

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a series I should read! The kiddos have a snow day today. Sheesh. When I was a kid, 6 inches of snow was a light one! Oh well...maybe I'll see if we can dig out and get to the library!

Anonymous said...

The more modern language actually might be a good thing for me. It takes me a little while to get into books with different language styles.

Serena said...

Toni: this is a fun one.

6 inches of snow is nothing, stephanie; i agree.

bermudaonion: you might like this one then. I like it well enough...just threw me off a bit.

Katherine said...

I read the first Liberty Lane novel and enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading this one--thanks for the review!

Serena said...

Katherine: I would like to revisit the first in the series.

Anna said...

Great review! Sounds like I'll have to borrow your copy, though I'd probably want to read the first book beforehand.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Marg said...

I read the first one and thought it was okay, but I do think that it suffered in comparison to Deanna Raybourn and Tasha Alexanders books.

The first book was published under the title A Foreign Affair here, and this book has a different title too - A Corpse in Shining Armour. Such different titles...sigh.

Iliana said...

A mystery and Victorian England - oh yes, this most definitely is on my list :)

Ladytink_534 said...

I just love this cover and it sounds like an interesting story too!

Serena said...

Marg: I wonder why they consistently change the titles to things that are so far apart...odd.

I enjoyed this book for the most part...there are cliche parts to it, but it was a nice easy read.

S. Krishna said...

I haven't heard of this series, but I'm adding the first book to my TBR list - thanks!

Serena said...

S. Krishna: I haven't even read the first one, but now I might have to.

The Bookworm said...

sounds great, pretty cover :)
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Marg said...

I don't know either. At least the US titles do sound like they are linked whereas ours really don't.

Serena said...

Marg: that is odd.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Love the cover, and I enjoy reading books with lots of twists and turns - especially historicals.

Jen Forbus said...

Hi Serena,

Very nice review. I agree whole-heartedly. I also received my copy for Harper's First Look program, and was sucked in immediately. I especially liked when they came up with the term private investigator! Too cute!

J.L. Danger said...

gah! I just missed the contest! Sounds right up my alley.