Nov 30, 2009
I called the store and was told I had to bring the turkey in with its packaging since we didn't have the receipt. We headed out to the store and to the customer service desk of Safeway. Imagine a short, young, Asian woman at the customer service counter waving her hands feverishly, trying to prevent my husband from opening the bag to show her the rotting turkey. She quickly told us to head back to the meat department and get our replacement turkey. Safeway's customer service was excellent the night before the holiday, and the new turkey was great!
OK, onto the business at hand. . .
Marcia at The Printed Page and Kristi of The Story Siren both sponsor memes in which bloggers share what books they've received in the past week. I'm going to continue calling these Mailbox Mondays, but The Story Siren also has In My Mailbox.
Anyway, enough of that! Let's get to the books, shall we?! These are the books I recently bought over the holiday weekend. Yes, I know I should be holiday shopping for other people, but I will soon.
1. Persuasion by Jane Austen because I only have this novel as part of a larger anthology which is very hard to carry around the subway. And it was only $6 at Borders!
2. Images of America: Forest Glen by Rich Shaffer and Ric Nelson, which I picked up because my husband and I had an unexplainable experience there in a place that is allegedly haunted by ghosts.
3. Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons, which is set during WWII! How could I resist! And, I ended up getting this at a deep discount thanks to a dopey cashier.
4. They Dared Return by Patrick O'Donnell, which is an autographed copy and is about Jewish spies behind the lines in Nazi Germany.
And my dear friend, Joanne from Jo-Jo Loves to Read!!!, sent me her ARC of the following book. Thanks!
5. The Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess Walter
What did you get in your mailbox?!
FTC Disclosure: Clicking on images or titles will bring you to my Amazon Affiliate page; No purchase required.