Jan 16, 2010

28th Virtual Poetry Circle


It's the 28th Virtual Poetry Circle, and it's time to revisit a contemporary poet, but before we do that, I wanted to thank everyone who has participated in this project thus far.  Feel free to spread the word.

Additionally, you should start noticing some small changes here on the blog, including possible article suggests at the end of my posts (Thanks Bloggiesta for calling this widget to my attention) and some share buttons, which I'm not overly thrilled with, but they'll do for now.

I would also love to get a new three-column template that meshes better with my header, so if anyone would like to volunteer, please email me.

OK, Here's a poem up for reactions, interaction, and--dare I say it--analysis:

Remember, this is just for fun and is not meant to be stressful.

Keep in mind what Molly Peacock's books suggested. Look at a line, a stanza, sentences, and images; describe what you like or don't like; and offer an opinion. If you missed my review of her book, check it out here.

Today's poem is from Diana Raab's latest collection, The Guilt Gene:

The Guilt Gene (Page 21)

The day before my birth
on the second Sunday in May

when the moon was full
and the stars already

twinkled in my father's eyes,
a little fella appeared from

a dark corner of my womb-yard,
poked his head out

from between the bushes
and demanded that I ask for

forgiveness before I even knew
what the word meant.


Let me know your thoughts, ideas, feelings, impressions. Let's have
a great discussion...pick a line, pick an image, pick a sentence.

I've you missed the other Virtual Poetry Circles, check them out here. It's never too late to join the discussion.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Great blog, If you're interested I just posted a review of Because I Could Not Stop For Death by Emily Dickinson at my blog, A Writer's Life.

Miss Haley said...

The Guilt Gene! ah, I loved this book. reviewed it sometime last year...

Anna said...

Is this her take on original sin or the sins of the fathers? Interesting.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Valerie said...

I am really wondering about what she means by "dark corner of womb-yard". I also wonder if its some sort of apology for bringing a child into this world.

Are the other poems in this book along the same vein? Sometimes reading more than one poem in the same book helps me understand where the poet is coming from.

BTW, I don't know too much about blog formatting, but for some reason your blog loads really slowly for me; compared with other blogs.

Jeanne said...

Oh, this is a charming poem. I like the image of the dark corner of the womb-yard; it's like the stories about babies being left (as in under a cabbage leaf). The whole thing is full of jokes about the order in which things happen and the euphemisms we use about them ("before I was even a twinkle in my father's eye").

Serena said...

Valerie: I was wondering the same thing about the Womb-yard...what is that?!

Jeanne: Great insight. I like your take on the lines.

Anna: I'm not really sure what she is getting at. This is one of those poems that I like to stew on.

It's almost like she's been seeking forgiveness for being born "demanded that I ask for foregiveness before I even knew what the word meant." Maybe this is a reference to the garden of eden and eve's sin. Not sure. There is a lot going on in this poem.