Jan 30, 2010

30th Virtual Poetry Circle

It's the 30th Virtual Poetry Circle, and it's time to visit with a contemporary poet, but before we do that, I wanted to thank everyone who has participated in this project thus far.  Feel free to spread the word.

Additionally, you should start noticing some small changes here on the blog, including possible article suggestions at the end of my posts (Thanks Bloggiesta for calling this widget to my attention) and some share buttons, which I'm not overly thrilled with, but they'll do for now.

I would also love to get a new three-column template that meshes better with my header, so if anyone would like to volunteer, please email me.

OK, Here's a poem up for reactions, interaction, and--dare I say it--analysis:

Remember, this is just for fun and is not meant to be stressful.

Keep in mind what Molly Peacock's books suggested. Look at a line, a stanza, sentences, and images; describe what you like or don't like; and offer an opinion. If you missed my review of her book, check it out here.

Here's a contemporary poem from Reb Livingston from her book Your Ten Favorite Words:

No Bra Required(Page 11)

Someone scrawled
funny words
on our underwear.

Our underwear,
way too loose

on our rascal asses.
We must realize ourselves
into those big britches,


you declare.  Love
in a handbasket.  Hell
in my heart.  My camisole,

yours, evermore.  Never
have I believed in polygamy
more than I do rising this

daybreak.

Let me know your thoughts, ideas, feelings, impressions. Let's have
a great discussion...pick a line, pick an image, pick a sentence.

I've you missed the other Virtual Poetry Circles, check them out here. It's never too late to join the discussion.


FTC Disclosure:  Clicking on title links or images will bring you to my Amazon Affiliate page; No purchase necessary. 

3 comments:

Anna said...

I have no idea what this one means, but it certainly was entertaining!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Becca said...

I really enjoyed this poem.

What I got from it was that it was about freedom, rebellion, independence, and finding yourself.

My favorite line is "Never have I believed in polygamy more than I do rising this daybreak."

Woman power!

Serena said...

I really like what she says in these lines "Our underwear,
way too loose

on our rascal asses.
We must realize ourselves
into those big britches,"

like they think they are big and ready for the real world, but really they have a lot of growing up to do to fit into the idea of themselves.

Love it.