Jan 20, 2010

FreeVerse: Copper Peaches by Serena M. Agusto-Cox


Every Wednesday, Ooh. . .Books! hosts FreeVerse where participants share their favorite poems with readers.  Thanks to Cara for hosting FreeVerse.

Today, I thought I would share a poem I had published many years ago in Beginnings Magazine

Copper Peaches

Slipped through my fingers,
brown without rainbow dye,
they are brittle and become dust in hand.

An empty peach hourglass.

The chill was sharper than
an ax on a grinding wheel.
Sunlight seeped through cracks,
set these dead leaves afire.

Dark green canopies shelter my way-
deeper behind the farmhouse.
Sunlight sparkles on wrinkled foil,
Caesar’s victory crown, still
untouched.
The blustery wind blows,
dries their skin,
stings my lungs.
They sway clumsily in the draft,
so weighted, they fall.
Ballerinas in Swan Lake
skate across glazed ice
lighter than parchment, but
heavier than air.
Rest upon the ground
bruised from impact and careless trampling
Swiss cheese foil
bronzed and useless for wrapping.

I’ve walked down this wooded way
lined with pine guards armed with sharp needles.
Carelessly treading on crisp rice
echoing pain in the shade.

What do you think?  Have you shared a poem with your readers today?

9 comments:

Cara Powers said...

Thanks for participating today, especially for having the courage to share something you've written.

Unknown said...

Lovely poem. It reminds me of walking on our property in the fall.

Jenners said...

Wow! I'm impressed ... it is so accomplished and "professional." And I did FreeVerse today and thanked you for all the poetry books -- and selected one from the Blake book! : )

quid said...

I loved this poem, especially your use of color, and "sharp" angles in many of the words.

quidrock

Anna said...

This has always been one of my favorites of your poems!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Serena said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I hope that all of my poems can be as accomplished as this one.

Valerie said...

Wonderful poem, I'm impressed. I especially like the "glazed ice, lighter than parchment" imagery.

gautami tripathy said...

A pleasure to read this. Very visual.

Thanks to you, I discovered Freeverse site!

Here is mine:

sleeping dreams

Darlene said...

I don't know a lot about poetry but I thought that was just beautiful.