Sep 20, 2007

Don't Break Momma's Back

Step on a Crack by James Patterson was a quick read and the lead character Michael Bennett is a breath of fresh air--a NYPD detective who actually isn't the job. Alex Cross is the reason I began reading James Patterson books in the first place, and the Women's Murder Club series kept me interested in his books with their camaraderie. Those characters forsake their families, lovers, and friends for the sake of catching the bad guy and making the big arrest, but Mike Bennett is different. His wife is his center and the kids are hers, but the job still takes precedence most of the time. When it counts and when he is needed at home, he's there for the kids. Don't get me wrong, you know the main point of the books is the suspense and the unraveling of the crime at hand, but the emotions of the characters need to develop beyond surface dedication to the family and the job.

Mike Bennett is a well developed character who made me hope along with him that his wife would not die, and strive to solve the successful kidnapping, though he was distracted. He held fast against the anguish in his heart to pump up the spirits of his brood and still remain dedicated to tracking down the hijackers. There were several points near the end of the book where my emotions nearly burst forth through my eyes as the unthinkable happened.

***spoiler ALERT**

He held his dying wife in his arms at the end of her life just after failing to take down the hijackers and discover their true identities. Her life slipped away quietly in the hospital room.

This was the one and only time I have seen Patterson take a leap and kill off a character he incited readers to believe would make it in the spirit of Christmas and rebirth. Unfortunately, those hopes were dashed, but I think the loss may strengthen the drive of Mike Bennett should Patterson choose to create yet another detective series.

***End Spoiler***

While of late I have had a hard time keeping interested in James Patterson books because he puts so many of them out per year, with dare I say not so captivating prose in many cases, Step on a Crack held my attention and made me wonder what will happen next for the main character and his Irish brood.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I think the differences between this character and Patterson's previous characters might have to do with the fact that he has a lot of co-writers these days. It makes me wonder how much of the writing they are responsible for, especially when he's putting out 3 or 4 books a year.

Serena said...

I have no idea, but I really like this character. I like him a lot better. It also could be that he's bored of the characters in the other series. I have no idea.