Aug 21, 2009

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

"I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar." (Page 1, sentence 1; yes, that's my hook, how about you?)

In Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris, readers are introduced to Sookie Stackhouse, a resident telepath, waitress, and spunky young woman, her brother Jason who has a revolving door in his bedroom, her boss Sam Merlotte, and of course, her vampire, Bill Compton. They all live in Bon Temps, Louisiana.

(If you haven't watched the HBO series True Blood based upon this series of books you better get watching. But I digress.)

"His voice was quiet and rustling, like feet through dry grass." (Page 166)

Sookie and Bill meet at Merlotte's and they quickly fall into bed after some initial posturing. Readers should know where this relationship was headed from the way Sookie looks at Bill and the way Bill reacts to her presence. The plot is thick with sexual tension and drama, from the way Bill silently stares at Sookie to the way she feels at ease because she cannot hear Bill's thoughts and from the entrance of outrageous vampires from nearby Monroe to the murders of two fang-bangers.

"I got a tight feeling in my chest, a bitterness, at another thing I was denied. And I thought, Why not?

I stopped him by pulling gently on his hand. I stretched up and lay my lips on his shining cheek. I inhaled the scent of him, ordinary by faintly salty. He was wearing a trace of cologne.

I felt him shudder. He turned his head so his lips touched mine." (Page 58)

Dead Until Dark will suck readers into the swampy, wooded south populated with vampires, telepaths, and more. Sookie is strong, hot tempered, loyal, and eager to help those in need, while Bill is her polar opposite, struggling to regain his humanity against his vampiric qualities. Like any good vampire story, there is a "love" triangle of sorts, murder, mayhem, and triumph. A good start to the series, which vampire/fantasy readers will love and other readers can enjoy as well.

Also Reviewed By:
Melancholy Musings
Well-Read Reviews
1morechapter.com
Bermudaonion
Rhapsody in Books 


Charlaine Harris' Dead Until Dark is the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series and my first book for the Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge.

17 comments:

Melody said...

I enjoyed reading this too! I can't wait to devour the rest! ;)

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I have seen these books all over the place and I give in to at least checking out the series. I haven't read a lot of vampire fiction but with so many people loving these books I have to give something a try.

Serena said...

Melody: I have book 2 in the series and I hope to fit it in soon.

Nicole: I think this is a great series to get your feet wet with in vampire fiction.

Anna said...

Hmm...maybe I'll have to borrow your copy and see what all the fuss is about.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Julie P. said...

Glad you enjoyed this one. I was worried about liking it, but I was pleasantly surprised. Very entertaining!

bermudaonion said...

I have got to get started on this series if I hope to complete the challenge. Glad to see you enjoyed it.

Serena said...

Anna: I'm done with it, so you can check it out anytime.

Julie: I never doubt my love for vampire books.

Bermudaonion: better get on it.

Lisa said...

I love it when people start a series I love.

Jenners said...

I just got this one because every where I go, it is Sookie, Sookie, Sookie! Thought I'd start with the books and then perhaps the series on DVD.

The Reading Momster said...

Can you believe it... I had this in my hand last week at a book store.. and I so so wanted to buy it... BUT for the economical status :D
I had already bought 8 books :( :D

I will for sure get this one! :D

Fiona said...

I like your review, especially your use of quotes.

Fiona :)

Serena said...

Jenners: I completely understand the sightings of Sookie, Sookie, Sookie. I love the show, though I started with season 2. LOL

Lisa: I love vampire series...so I have no idea why it took me so long to see this one.

Veens: what were you thinking. You better go back to the store!

Fiona: Thanks for checking out the review.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

When I went to get my haircut the other day I mentioned to my lady that I was reading Eclipse. She shook me and yelled that as soon as I finish those I need to get onto Harris's series. I know! I'm glad you're loving these. Would it ruin the books to watch the HBO series first?

Serena said...

Trish: I've been watching the HBO series first and then reading the books, so I haven't had any trouble. LOL Actually I think its kind of fun to see what elements from the books make it onto the show.

Barbara said...

Since I reread a series when a new book comes out I finally finished the newest one which I'm posting tomorrow. This is a great series so enjoy the rest of them.

http://www.melancholymusings.com/2009/07/dead-until-dark.html

The Bookworm said...

I plan on getting all the books in this series and reading them one day :)
Great review!
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I literally just started this one last night... I'm only 10 or so pages in, but I think it's going to be interesting! Definitely sounds like it from your review. I'm looking forward to diving in further! :)